7.5 The Information Management and Digital Security toolbox from GISF
13-Sept-2022 3 mins
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is it about?
- Why will this resource be useful to you?
- Why is this resource particularly interesting?
🔗 Download the resource: here.
What is it about?
This toolbox aims to help NGOs to integrate good risk management practices into their field operations during humanitarian responses. You will find guidance, resources, tools, templates, checklists and examples designed by GISF, and links to other resources of the sector.
The toolbox covers the following topics, with regard to security:
- Risk assessment: Defines what a risk assessment is, why it is important and provides guidance and templates to conduct it.
- Coping with security matters during Planning and implementation: Provides guidance, tools and templates related to Security plans, Inclusive security, Site security, Travel and movement, Contingency plans, Threat guides and Working with partners’ matters.
- Incident response: Provides guidelines to manage critical incidents. Provides examples of critical incident protocols and incident management plan.
- Information management (responsible data management): Provides guidance on how to report and analyze incidents, thanks to training modules and templates. Provides also various training modules to introduce and understand the concepts of digital security and the potential risks that your staff, organization and programs face due to the amount of data collected, managed, shared, etc.
- Collaboration & Coordination: Provides guidance on NGO security collaboration, introduces the “Saving Lives Together” Partnership and redirects to leading resources on civil-military coordination in the humanitarian sector.
- Trainer’s Instructions: Provides guidance for trainers aiming at improving the security awareness and management capacity of staff within their organization.
These resources, tools and templates are available in English.
Why will this resource be useful to you?
- As a reference tool to introduce essential concepts related to security and responsible data management.
- As an assessment and planning tool for program teams, to help them understand the risks related to data management, and to help them design and implement responsible data practices. The toolbox includes resources that will help you to conduct a Technology Needs Assessment and a Digital Risk Assessment, to identify Typical Digital Threats, to design Digital Security Strategies and to incorporate Digital Risk Management into Security Plans.
- As a check-list to enhance Communications and information security.
- As a guide to conduct a risk assessment before the deployment or when starting a new program, using the risk analysis matrix model.
- As a guide to put security plans into place, while ensuring that the measures put in place are inclusive.
- As a guide to put Incident Management Plan and Critical Incident Protocol into place.
- As a model to create your own Incident Reporting Procedure and Incident Report Form.
- As a reference document for preparing a safety training within your organization.
This resource is intended in particular for program teams, whether they are:
- Staff in charge of writing guides, procedures and protocols related to security
- Staff who would like to train its team and raise awareness on security matters.
Why is this resource particularly interesting?
- Helps you to identify a wide range of threats and risks and to find ways to mitigate them, at all stages of humanitarian programs.
- Provides a variety of resources and templates, helping you understand the concepts and then deploy protocols, guides and action plans enhancing security.
- Combines multiple documents (simple tutorials, policies and guidance documents, links to other resources, etc.), in a range of formats.
- Contains detailed information and practical examples.
- All resources in the toolbox can be adapted to suit the organization and/or the operational context.